HOW TO FIT YOUR HORSE WITH THE CORRECT SIZE BLANKET/SHEET
Creature Comforts horse clothing is designed to fit your horse as securely, safely and as comfortably as possible. This ensures complete protection while giving you peace of mind that your horse’s clothing will stay in place, performing reliably all day long.
It is very important to make sure that any sheet or rug/blanket you put on your horse fits properly to ensure your horse’s comfort and safety. An improperly fitted rug/blanket can cause shoulder and wither rubs and can actually endanger your horse, especially if the rug/blanket is too big.
Here’s how to measure your horse for a Creature Comfort rug/blanket – and then fit your new rug/blanket. Why not print this guide out and pin it up on your stable wall as a reminder?
STEP 1: HOW TO MEASURE YOUR HORSE TO FIND THE RIGHT SIZE
a-b. Chest to Tail – from the centre of the chest to the furthest rear point of the rump measuring along the contours of the horse.
c-d. Girth – measure from behind the wither to centre of the girth area.
e-f. Around the neck – from top of the wither down to the centre of the chest.
g-h. Wither to Tail – measuring straight from top of wither to top of tail following the contours of the horses back.
Refer to the Size Chart below to determine the right size rug/blanket based on your horse’s measurement:
- 75cm / 120cm
- 85cm / 130cm
- 90cm / 140cm
- 95cm / 145cm
- 105cm / 155cm
- 115cm / 160cm
- 120cm / 170cm
- 125cm / 175cm
- 135cm / 185cm
- 140cm / 190cm
- 145cm / 195cm
- 150cm / 200cm
- 155cm / 205cm
- 160cm / 215cm
- 165cm / 220cm
STEP 2: CHECK THAT YOUR RUG/BLANKET FITS
Your horse’s rug/blanket fits when the chest closure is secured on approximately the middle adjustment and the top of the tail flap falls at the top of the tail.
STEP 3: FASTEN AND ADJUST THE STRAPS
- Chest Straps – fasten chest straps so fabric overlaps at the chest.
- Leg Straps –
- pass the left leg strap between the hind legs and fasten to the left hand dee-ring. Cross the right leg strap through the left leg strap and fasten to the right hand dee-ring. Ensure the leg straps are adjusted so you can only fit a hand’s width between each leg strap and each of your horse’s thighs
- Surcingles – fasten belly strap and adjust straps to allow a hand’s width between strap and belly.
Your horse is now ready to enjoy the unique comfort, protection and reliable fit of your Creature Comforts horse rug/blanket.
COMMON PROBLEMS/ INCORRECT FITTING RUGS
- A rug/ blanket that is too big is actually more likely to cause rubs than one that is too small, and this can be
- If the rug/blanket extends beyond the top of the tail, the rug/blanket is too If the rug/blanket does not reach the top of the tail, the rug/blanket is too small.
- If leg straps and Surcingles are not adjusted to allow a hand’s width, your horse may get their legs caught in the straps if the straps are too long. If they are too short, the straps may
- If the neck of the rug is too big, the rug/blanket will hang off the back of the horse, which will place pressure on the shoulders and wither and increase the possibility of rubbing and The horse may also be in danger of stepping on the back of the rug when trying to stand after rolling.
Remember, if your horse is comfortable in their properly fitted rug/ blanket, they will be much happier to stay dressed. A poorly fitted rug/blanket will be uncomfortable for your horse and they may try to get it off. Taking the above correct fitting steps will ensure that your new Creature Comforts rug/blanket will not rub and will provide ultimate fit, protection and freedom of movement.
To view our horse blankets and sheets, click here.